FIELD NOTES ESSAY

Although gaming can be considered one of the most enjoyable forms of entertainment, I have never played any video games. However, from observing my surroundings, I always noticed the attachment of people of my generation with video games and their devotion and behavior while being exposed to them. Which made often made me wonder, how much effectiveness and problematics could be taken out of this particular subculture that is only recognized from its enjoyment. I always considered those questions and having the opportunity to explore this subculture through research, observations. Exploration allowed me to clarify some of them when it comes to its inclusion and bring awareness to others when it comes to the present problems that this subculture is facing since it is being considered as a mental disorder. 

My first resource to have a more prominent approach to this subculture was to observe and explore the Gaming club at the City College of New York, the “Sci-Fi Club.” I had the opportunity to interview one of its members, Melido Bello, which has identified himself as a gamer since ten years ago but joined the gaming club this semester. This club usually meets in room 1/207 in the NAC building. This room is one of those called “Conference Rooms,” which was surprising to me since I was expecting it to take place at the Game Room in CCNY. But these conference rooms serve for multiple purposes since there is a sign at the door that establishes the following announcement; “Please return tables & chairs to its original position at the end of the event.” which means that multiple events happen in there. Ideally, since it is a conference room, you would imagine that there is a big table in the middle surrounded by many chairs. However, it is not the case of that specific room. Since multiple tables assembled it, and it was explicitly accommodated for the gaming time that was taking place there. I was also expecting the room to be surrounded by many flyers and gaming stuff. The room was of considerable size, which allowed them to organize the tables and their gaming equipment as it would best suit them. And for gaming equipment, I refer to consoles, ps4s, controllers, screens, and wires. I was observing the site a few minutes before the gaming club met due an interference to the time this club often meets with my schedule, therefore I only had the chance to observe the arrangement of the tables, which were placed next to each other, in order to place the computers and screens on top of them. 

There have been many attempts that have led me to become an insider in this subculture. When I heard the was a Gaming Club at CCNY, “Sci-FI.” I felt the need to go and investigate, but I did not end up joining it since I thought I was going to see myself obliged to become a gamer. And I also thought I could answer those questions I often had about this subculture just by just doing research. However, the exploration of this subculture from a closer perspective changed my mind and clarified some of my “misconceptions” (as my interviewee named it) about this subculture. Being gender the first one, there is research that proves that games are specifically designed for males. “Video Games appear to be especially attractive to boys, (Durkin & Barber, 2002; Sublette & Mullan, 2012) although this may be because most videogames are designed by males for other males.” (Griffiths, 2008a) However, my approach to this answer changed when I visited the Sci-Fi Club. I had the chance to touch on questions like; who has access to this subculture? And if there are any requirements that people have to meet to be part of it? He said there are no barriers to become an insider in this subculture.  He specified there is no specific gender, age, or race, that prevents you from becoming a gamer. He even set as an example the Sci-Fi club to prove that there are no gender restrictions, neither age. Since the participation of girls and older people is common in their club. Though he recognizes that this subculture is mostly male predominant, he highlighted the fact that the number of females joining this subculture is growing. 

During the visit to this site, I realized that its participants don’t seem to be worried about the current issue that their subculture is facing, which is the reason why I wanted to talk to an adult member of the group. But it couldn’t be possible due to not having the same availability because of significant differences in schedules. But, I had the chance to touch on this problematic, which relies on the fact that gaming addiction is being argued to be considered a mental disorder. When asking about his view on it, his answer was the same similar to the ones that oppose seeing video gaming addiction as an issue. “Experiencing problems from playing a lot is not enough to diagnose gaming behavior as an addiction.” (Blaszczynski, 2008, Wood, 2008a. However, the fact that there has been a study implemented to the behavior of many gamers to be considered preoccupying due to overexposure to video games. This should be enough to determine that this is affecting people in some way, and there has to be taken action on this matter. Later on, he agreed with my factual statement. However, he does not consider gaming addiction could be a mental disorder, but it can get to the point where it becomes an addiction. 

While we kept talking, other members were coming inside the room. The first thing they did was look for the signing sheet, and sign themselves in. And greet their friends and other participants. As he expressed before, they encourage the participation of people with no restrictions. And he proved so by providing me a list of its members, so I could see the variety of names and genders throughout the list since I was a little early for the encounter with all the club members and for when “the fun” started. The time they spend in the gaming club every Thursday is within the time that is recommended, which is usually less than 5 hours. From 4: 00 pm to 8:00 pm. According to a study conducted at San Diego University, “In teens, more than five hours of video games is too much.” (Rossman, 2017) Which leads me to think that they take into consideration the proper time the members of the club, should be exposed to games. My assumptions were proven correct when the interviewee emphasized this fact once I asked him what the time in which gaming exposure is considered healthy, and would genuinely help develop those beneficial skills that are often highlighted when it comes to gaming. 

It was proven to me that this is a diverse culture that encourages the participation of anybody who has any interest in becoming a gamer. This was also established by the different ways in which the gaming club encourages more people to come, for example, by posting flyers, around school inviting people to go to their club. However, sharing my concern toward the current issue that this subculture is facing when it comes to the time spent on video games with one member of this subculture, made me realize that there has to be a professional intervention when touching this matter. Everyone is aware of the benefits that gaming can leave as it is often highlighted; critical thinking, improvement of social skills, as well as improvement of brain skills. But, the complications of gaming overexposure can lead to affect your mental health and behavior critically, leaving; as a result, a mental disorder. These two levels of information should have the same approach, just like a warning sign that can emphasize that the overexposure of these games is not recommended. This is why after the visit of this site, and seeing how this subculture works, it made me think that the lack of information about the other side of this entertainment can affect the community that these young people have created. Inside City College, the college’s counseling staff can deal with this issue, just by creating awareness of the limitations of gaming to prevent those psychological and critical impacts. However; This is an issue that has to be spread throughout the entire community. To avoid many teens and even adults of falling into the ties of the dangers of overexposure of this entertainment. The lack of empirical evidence should not be an excuse that justifies that too much gaming “isn’t that bad” for nobody is a secret that excess of everything is bad. Therefore, the limitation of time in which video games are played must be recommended to kids, parents, and teens at all times. Not only in City College, but anywhere where people can have access to this information. Social media as the easiest target, which is the reason why I recommended the Sci-Fi club member, to please make sure that they are creating awareness of how too much time spent on gaming can be dangerous for their mental health. As well as how creating awareness can be beneficial for the sustainability of their subculture. 

Work Cited